Monday, February 14, 2011

Chunky Thoumont's Kitbash

I really wanted to try this out with the Lost Halls of the Dwarven Kings set, but I've been knee deep in Thoumont's for so long that it's where I started. The idea was to combine the great features of the TerrainLinx system and combine it with some of the neat architectural features you can get by making the walls a bit thicker.

So, I took a couple wall sections from the Thoumont's set and made them 1 cm thick - the same thickness as the corner wall posts. By keeping the tabs on the wall section, they still fit nicely into the posts, but they're now thick enough to play some papercraft tricks.

My first attempt was to simply take a flat wall and make it thicker. Despite the fact that I designed it with very small glue tabs, it went together easily. I decided to try for one with windows next. What I did was design the wall with cut-outs where the windows would normally print, then I designed window inserts that would glue inside the wall to make the windows inset. This is WAY slower than just whipping up TLX walls, but I chalked it up to adding the "papercraft" back to the TLX manufacturing process.

I'd like to try this with doors next, but I'm also thinking I'll get more bang for my buck if I switch over to the Dwarven set. There, I can make nice open archways, doors, maybe some interesting wall features. I think I need to experiment more with the design also. It might be easier to augment a standard TLX wall than it is to try to custom form a 3D wall with the tabs in the right place.

Anyway, here are some photos of the wall sections I made. Not sure if you can make it out, but the windows there are inset. It's like that on both sides, with textures around the window to make it all look nice.



Here's a shot of a teeny building. The long walls are the chunky walls I made.



Maybe some evening I'll get really ambitious and try to augment the beams by cutting up another wall printout and adding an extra layer to them. But, another time. I want to finish the main Thoumont's building and get some shots of the interior all decked out, then I want to move onto some Hinterland builds!

No comments:

Post a Comment