Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Warlock Blade

Last year, the good folks at WorldWorksGames had Christmas promotions on various products. One of those products was the Warlock Blade from their Forge line of props. I don't know what was holding me back... It might have been that I never seemed to have enough foamcore or enough sticker paper handy to make the thing. It might have been that I was a little intimidated because it's different than the things I'm used to building. For whatever reason, I never attempted it.

Well, I bit the bullet and had a go! With the exception of the hilt, I printed everything out on sticker paper and laid things out onto black foamcore. I almost messed up and put ALL of the stickers down onto the foamcore. There are some pieces that are meant to be two sides to a single piece of foamcore... I'm glad I caught myself. They have a nice system of using thumb tacks to line up the printouts on both sides of the foamcore. The whole build took a little over an hour to complete. I skipped the edging that I could have put around the blade. The black foamcore looks OK enough for me, and I could only imagine the stickers not adhering to the sides too well and being more trouble than they are worth.

So, without further ado, here are a couple photos:


From end to end, the whole thing is a little over 3' I think.


My printouts were rather dark, and some of the great details on the hilt are lost. I am pretty sure I'll make at least one more sword (using one of the alternate blade styles) and I'll try to fix the print brightness for that. I also think it would be fun to shorten the hilt a bit and chop the blade down to short sword length. I might take the whole thing and scale it down 70% for my kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment