Monday, January 9, 2012

Mermaid Tavern is complete!

Slow and steady wins the race, I suppose. I put the finishing touches on my last Mermaid Tavern building this morning, so now I've got all three of the "ready to print" buildings are complete.


From left to right, I believe that would be the Bait and Tackle Shop, the Mermaid Tavern, and the Riverside Restaurant. The all share geometry, so sure they look similar. But they have some subtle differences like the gables and windows that extend off.

Here are a couple more shots:



Now, having put in the time to build these well, I've learned a couple things. First, it's really a nice touch to add supporting cardstock on the larger walls and roof pieces. This adds a lot of strength and the models feel a lot sturdier.

Additionally, I'm not sure I want to use Dave Graffam's bases for his buildings. I use WorldWorksGames tiles for my terrain, so anything I use from Dave's buildings will be (1) an odd shape that won't fit in with WWG's tiles, and (2) using a texture that won't match anything around it. So, I'm not sure what I want to do about this. I might try to create a custom adapter tile for two of the buildings I made there, and piece together some Hinterland or Himmelveil tile around it, so it will fit in.What I really want to do is maybe make a sturdy cardstock base that matches the footprint of the building, then either just set the building on top of WWG tiles, or invent a simple system where I attach a small foamcore "key" to the base of the building that would slot into a custom hole on the tile.

Before I start building too many other buildings, I think I'll experiment a bit with that...

No comments:

Post a Comment