Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Progress on my standee bases

Here are some shots of what I did this evening. To recap what led up to this... I created a sheet of 15mm bases using textures from several WorldWorksGames tiles: Lost Halls of the Dwarven Kings, Hinterland Forest, The Garden, The Maiden and Himmelveil Streets. I kinda wish I threw a couple Thoumont's floors in there too. Anyway, I made a cut file for it, so my robo cutter dutifully (and remarkably accurately) sliced out the pieces. I've found it's easier to edge the pieces if I cut the flaps off completely. Then I can spray glue the flaps, fold in the edges and assemble the pieces.

Well, you can fit 60 little 15mm bases on one sheet. There are two flaps and the base piece, so that's 180 little pieces to edge. YAWN! Well, I brought them into work and edged while waiting for my computer to catch up to me:


I tell you what - it may not LOOK like a lot of pieces, but it's a LOT OF PIECES.

So, this evening. I set up my gluing station and laid out the flaps:


Yeah. My gluing station consists of a large piece of cardboard with a catalog sitting on it. I spray glue my pieces and then turn the page in the catalog, giving me a fresh surface to work on.

Here's a shot in progress:


And, here's the completed pile:



Sadly, the spray glue isn't holding all the pieces. I burnished them pretty well, too. It might be that I didn't spray them well enough (I was trying to keep them from blowing over) or maybe some of the glue dried too much before I assembled them. Maybe I'm just running at the end of the spray glue can. I dunno, but a couple ended up like this:


Poopers! I will touch these up with some good ol' white glue.

UPDATE: In the morning I saw that *most* were ungluing. I'm going to have to reglue them with white glue or else give up on the 15mm bases. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment