Monday, July 9, 2012

Hip Roof modifications

Someone on the WorldWorksGames forums asked about making hip roofs with the Thoumont's set. It can't be done with the out-of-the-box pieces, but some quick modifications got me here:


I don't know if that's enough of a slope, but it was super easy to whip up. Here's what it looks like flattened out:


I did this test with 3" roof pieces, since they all fit on one page.I didn't try very hard to get the shingle textures to line up, and frankly I don't think it's so bad that it warrants extra fiddling.

Now, this is taped up. Thinking of how I could make this into a single TLX piece, I might consider taking the middle piece as the place to score and fold the inside and outside together. The extra flap on top of the middle piece isn't really necessary, I don't think. What I'm not sure about is how easy it will be to insert a piece like this into a truss. At least with the tape, there's enough flexibility at the joints that I can put it together easily. I think it would work. I also imagine that it'll scale up to a 6" piece as well, though at that point, I'd probably need to print the inside and outside separately and glue them together rather than fold them together.

I'm pretty sure I can't trim this down in length at all and still fit it in with TLX pieces. Oh well, It's a good proof of concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment