Monday, December 17, 2012

Atlants TLX - GAME ON!

I've got a couple weeks off from work, so I'm really going to focus on the Atlantis conversion. There are a lot of loose ends, so I'm hoping that the dedicated time will let me add some order to the chaos.

Here are some pics of a little test build. The minis are either LEGOs or standees from OneMonk's hordes.




The catwalk system works well, though I really want it 2" wide, not 1" wide. Otherwise, it's pretty to look at but no fun to play on.  I think the roofs look pretty nice, and the walls are good too.

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Having a little fun in the Hinterlands

I made some quickie 2.5-D rock "standees" and broke out the Hinterland tiles to try them out. I let the kids build some LEGO props, and we decked the place out.


Let's see what's going on here...

A couple adventurers are cooking up a light meal after a hard days work of, er, adventuring.

Using some cliff tiles, my son made some parts of the ground elevated, and made a little island. Trouble is brewing there...


I contributed a guy with a merchant cart, blissfully enjoying the warm breeze and delightful sounds of the trickling water under the bridge.


My son's contribution?


Just behind the cart is a skeleton on foot, and another skeleton riding, what else, a skeleton horse. He described it as "danger."  I'm hoping the skeletons, too, are just out enjoying a stroll.





My younger son likes to climb on rocks, so he put a kid doing just that. Now, that rock he's climbing on is one of my 2.5-D rocks. They take no time to build, but I'm not sure they're quite good enough as scenery.





A businessman is out fishing just off the dock. He hasn't caught anything yet, and his parrot doesn't let him forget it.

And lastly, it's the monkey with a fez.


He just kinda sits there, and let's you wonder "Hey - is that a monkey with a fez? I wonder what he's doing there?"  Just beware. He's got one heck of a daily power and he hasn't used it yet today...

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

No wonder Atlantis sunk...

...

I'm having a really hard time gaining traction on this. It's one step forward, two steps back. I decided to ditch the black area between the pillars on the posts, and instead use stone walls. Sadly, I hadn't kept the layers in my images separate, so it wasn't an easy thing to just whip up. I redid the 2-way posts last night and went to build a couple pages worth so I could start making a real TLX build, and I found I had scaled the pillars incorrectly on the posts. Or, rather, I scaled them differently. Sigh. So, either I redo the posts again (pretty likely) or I redo the walls (unlikely). The sad thing is, I like the new scale better - the columns are more substantial. Oh well.

I did build a couple of TLX tiles, and they came out OK. I need a bunch more, but I'm at least somewhat confident I can make those easily. Famous last words, right?

I tried to come up with a texture for the inside of the roofs, and this is what I ended up with:


So, now I realize that this won't line up "perfectly" with the trusses. Maybe I don't care... I probably do though... Wah. I wish I were better at doing this! I hope that I'll be able to use some vacation time to really focus on this stuff, rather than doing it in 15 minute increments. Maybe that's screwing me up.

It is certainly a lonely process, I'll say that much.

Saturday, December 1, 2012

An overdue update

It's been a while since I posted anything - this seems to happen when I get mired in little details and my desk fills up with clutter. I can't seem to push anything past the finish line, so I stop doing anything! Well, progress has finally been made.

The Thoumont's SwiftScenics set has been wrapped up and I've fixed all of the issues I was aware of. I also did up some promo pictures and passed them off to WWG for their consideration. Just a wait-and-see game now, I guess.

TLX Atlantis inches along. I had a huge list of things to convert, and I realize now that I missed a bunch of things. I'll see what I end up getting done. I think the tiles are almost complete. Here's a quick test print of some water/sand tiles using a 1" grid:


I cut up 10 more 6" foamcore tiles, and found that using the skill saw goes pretty quickly. Maybe it's just more fun to use the power tools than the knife. I'd like to see if I can't get a method down where I cut 4 or 5 at a time, stacked up. I tried 3 at a time using masking tape to hold them together, and it was OK, but not great. I think a little spritz of spray mount will hold them well enough. 10 isn't nearly enough to make a set, and I'm a bit behind on making sets, so I would like to get a good stack prepped.

So, hopefully this evening I can focus on finishing the "core" tiles (not including some of the wonky looking inlets and transition tiles...) and maybe build a couple real TLX tiles.