Sunday, January 12, 2014

It's not as easy as it looks...

Bit of a demoralizing day today. I'm just not able to set aside enough time to gain traction on these cave walls, and it bums me out. Well, that and the fact that I really don't have the talent necessary to create most of the textures I really want to create. I'll keep trying. It's just slow going, and sometimes (like today) I end up with very little to show for it.

Tonight, I decided to spend a little time making the broken floor tiles that will top the cave walls. They're actually super easy to make, considering I have the floor textures already done up from the mining kitbash. I have the tile faces done, and so I'll need to texture the paper strips that edge the side of the piece, and pull out the anchors. Honestly, doing the anchors is what takes the most time, but once I get rolling on that, I'll be able to finish quickly too.

I'll go ahead this week and start making some of the regular mine tunnel walls that are in the kitbash. It'll give me a chance to try out making posts without perforations. I'm hoping at work early this coming week to have time to finish sketching the hand cart pieces and start test-cutting some stuff. That's how I do some of these things - I draw it by hand, cut it by hand (sometimes coloring pieces with markers) and seeing how it assembles. If I like it, I cut it apart and measure what I've done so I can remake it in GIMP. You'd think it'd be faster for me to work in Sketchup or something, but really I enjoy just experimenting in paper.

Grr... While typing this, I figured I'd go ahead and print out a page of posts and get started. Sadly, I've been getting really inconsistent results from my CIS lately... Not sure what the problem is. Probably going to have to pump some ink through it (again) and see where that gets me. Sigh. Bit of a demoralizing day today.

No comments:

Post a Comment