Sunday, February 22, 2015

Here are some pictures to show off what I'm trying to, er, show off...

Keep in mind, all of this was quickly hand-sketched and hand cut...

So, I started by sketching out where posts and tabs will go. The darkened in rectangles would be where I'd want to put tile texture. I then cut out two 6"x6" cardstock blanks and glued them together. I started laying down all the lines so that I could figure out where to cut. In reality, you'd just print a page with the cutting guide already on it, sandwich two pages together, then just cut rectangles out.



Then, I cut out a page that represents what would wrap around the tile. This would be totally textured.

That's just a closeup to show you that I've removed some chunks from the page. I printed this on plain copy paper, so it's flimsy. It'd have been easier to cut (a) if I had printed a guide, and (b) I was using a straight edge... :)

In theory I'd glue the cardstock template above to the inside of this guy, but for prototyping, I just stacked it all together onto the foamcore:

So, there would be holes for posts to slip in, and holes for tabs to slip in. Again, I'm kind of counting on this being more rigid with actual card stock. If the tab holes don't work out, there's always the idea of putting foamcore tabs in the sides...

Here's a post and a tab. The tab is 2x thick cardstock. I am not sure, but I suspect it is a strong enough joint for most builds. I'd have to test it at scale. The post is a mere 1/4" thick. I was going to have the top closed, with holes for pins, but it was too fiddly, and since I cut this out by hand, I was lucky it folded together at all. The top end was a little wide, so it got all mushed while I attempted to force it in place...

 You can see there's a bottom tab sticking out. That slips into the corner. The space created allows it to fit in snugly. On it's own, the post might seem a little wobbly, but with a wall or two attached to it, it should be plenty rigid.
So, once I feel more ambitious (my office is a tiny room, and is a mess right now, so it saps my will to build) I'll do up my new floors and walls in this style, actually following a cutting guide, and see how it call comes together.

But, that illustrates the basic idea of what I'm trying out.

2 comments:

  1. Very creative way to do the tiles but keep in mind about user friendliness.
    The template looks very daunting, I think someone new to the hobby and with no robocutter would be mind blown with this. It my opinion. But as I have been trying every technique to get to a modular solution myself, I kept this in the back of my mind and trashed many ideas because I knew most people would find it just to complex or time consuming. I am trying to help, I hope this criticism is taken that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know why, but the cardstock template makes me think of Space Invaders...
    I also fear it can repell to see how many cuts are needed for every tile, even on cardstock.
    I dunno, may have to try to see how it goes in term of cuts.
    Having hand-cut two hinterland trees yesterday, that seems quite easy ;)

    ReplyDelete