Friday, February 13, 2015

Multiple layers - when is it too much?

I'm looking at my 6" walls, and here's what I see. First, I'm chopping the 6" wall into three sections. I'm not sure if this is the best idea because it won't line up great with a grid. I'll have to see how I feel. I might end up with 5 positions for things...

So, let's do the math for if there's three positions. Three door types means 9 layers. I've got one style of window, and I will make it so I either have one or two of them within each 1/3rd. So, that's 6 more layers. I created a layer with a thinner wooden beam to be used on its own or between the double windows. So, 3 more layers. I added a variant where you can have stone at the bottom of the wall, and there's a wooden beam that acts as a border to it. That's 6 more layers. So, 24 layers? Oh. Registration marks. 26 layers.

That's without any wall decorations (torches/sconces, tapestries, art, whatever... I couldn't really come up with anything I really wanted on the walls...)

So, I'm wondering how big this file will be, how slow it will be to use, etc.  I'll just have to try it to find out. If I go with five positions for things, I'll likely treat that as a separate pdf - one for three spots, one for two spots. Though, I suppose I could rely on 3" walls handling the two spot version, right?

I'm starting to think about a small prop set to go with this. Maybe some simple tables, chairs, fire pit, boxes, barrels... stuff. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment