Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Want to try something new?

I haven't had a chance to try any of this. Tuesdays are a late day getting home for me, so I tried to hurry through making some template files. I haven't textured them yet, but it would be enough to get the idea... Tomorrow I will buy some cheap cardstock and try this out. I fear that I've designed this for 3/16" foamcore, and I really need to convert it to be for 5mm foamcore instead - just a tiny bit thicker.

Anyway, here's a link to my dropbox folder containing random stuff.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/emay1jnyxqvm18j/AAATqCxCIch5wOOCfObVCw-7a?dl=0

There's a README.txt file there that you can look at. The idea that I'm going with right now (thank you rambinator!) is to wrap the tile with pieces that will serve to create the gaps for the tabs of the posts. Then, you can attach a flat piece to both faces of the tile - double sided!

I worry about a couple things... yes - the pieces that wrap the tiles are not the most fun to cut out. I don't think there's much I can do to prevent that. Still, this method allows for both faces of the tile to potentially be covered with texture, and it will be *flat* - no anchors poking up. I don't think it will lend itself well at all to speed mounting. At least TLX allowed for that - you could put anchors anywhere you want. FDG, too, lets you poke holes anywhere in the masterboard. Not so much with this...

I also worry about the durability of the slots. I can't predict how it will go - I'll have to just try it.

Lastly, I worry that one layer of spacer isn't enough. I think I need two. And if I need two, I'm not sure the easiest way to do that.

If you feel like being brave and randomly cutting stuff, try hitting me up on Steam chat (mproteau) or Skype (michael.a.proteau) if you run into trouble. If you're not feeling so ambitious, no worries. I will get around to building this soon enough. First I have to clean my office. :(

Office is clean(er)! An ambitious soul (thanks again, rambinator!) tried it out, and it's not gonna work as is. I'm whipping up a new design right now and will try to make a tile tonight. It'll be hand-textured since I'm not feeling like fighting with my printer (assuming it won't cooperate...)

No comments:

Post a Comment