Monday, June 29, 2015

New House

A little picture of some textures that are starting to come together. I need some hardware on the door, and I need to (maybe) invent some window panes or shutters, but this may serve as the base for another type of house. The layout on the page is like this - you reverse score the middle and glue the two untextured bits together. The rectangles are cut away, leaving a little slot into which floor/wall/roof pieces can be inserted. I might need to trim the interior a little bit on the sides so that the whole thing can still fold relatively flat. Not sure how well that will work.

I'm not altogether displeased with the textures, though I need to add a little more grunge to things. I'm thinking of going with a tile roof.





Here's a simple picture of what this might go to. I'm thinking of making a couple modular bits that can have removable roofs. Maybe they'll clip together, or not. Not sure. I want them to all have some form of playable interior, so the roof bits will come off easily, and the multi-floor pieces will separate. Making a version with no interior, or making a static build version should be straight-forward enough.

I'm going to try to make two different styles - one with wonky wood frames and beat up windows, and one with nicer details. I've got a couple other buildings to lay out as well:



They'll all share similar textures. I'm only finding time here and there to work on this, so it's slow going, but it's going none-the-less!

5 comments:

  1. I had just stopped by today to see if you'd been up to any papercraft recently and was bummed to see nothing new for a few months. Glad to see you're still at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - I took a break. It's been hectic at work and at home, and honestly I hadn't sat in front of my home computer for more than a couple of minutes over the last couple months. I finally cleaned up my tiny home office and am slowly getting back to work on this stuff. I was really hoping to have stuff up on OBS by the end of June, but that's not going to happen. I'll keep at it, though I'm not quitting my day job! :)

      Delete
  2. Great to see you back!
    Could you elaborate on the way the walls are constructed? I don't really understand your current explanation (not that good in english ,after all :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't built them yet - still toying with textures given very little free time. The idea is that it's a fixed structure that folds flat. The walls have slots built into them so you can plug in a second story, or trusses for the roof. I'm wrapping up some texture work tonight (windows, hardware on the doors, and some cleanup of the wall stones), and will hopefully start printing and assembling the lower level walls to see how it all fits real soon now.

      Delete
  3. Hah! Working on building a 6"x3" first floor, and realized the door handles are on the wrong side! :)

    ReplyDelete